All wood floor cradle; made from planks; 2 rockers each made from single plank carved in rocker shape; reinforced ends, corners, middle and down the center. Cradle has a mix of more modern round-head wire nails and square head 'handmade(?)' nails. Tonque and groove boards and construction. Dark finish appears to be from a later time than original construction. Label attached to the inside of the head board.
Chronicles of Oklahoma
Volume 4, No. 3
FLOYD E. MILLER.
S. Abbott is Simon M. Abbott - Simon Abbott came to Oklahoma ca. 1880 and later purchased the land and buildings of the Hillsided Mission north of Skiatook.
" The church house has long since disappeared. A part of it was sold, taken three miles east of the old site and converted into a farmhouse. The other part was moved four chains north where it was used as a church for a time, but was wrecked so much in moving that it became unsafe. Six years ago it was torn down and such material as was good was used in the construction of the new edifice that graces Hillside Mission. Only the dormitory of the Mission remains intact. It was sold by the trustees in Philadelphia to Mr. Simon M. Abbott, who resides here.
The deed to the four acres that comprise the site of the Mission was executed in Philadelphia. Mr. S. M. Abbott paid $300.00 for the four acres and the pile of buildings. The deed was signed by Walter Smedley, Charles J. Rhoads, Jonathan M. Steele, Alfred J. Scattergood and Thomas Smedley as trustees of the Associated Executive Committee of the Friends Society of Indian Affairs, Philadelphia. This land was never allotted, but was transferred direct by the government to the Friends Society at Philadelphia."
Abbott, Simon M.
|Category||Historical Furniture Accessories|